Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Chart

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grocery Shopping

My mom use to say, "Never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach." She repeated that over and over as I was growing up. As an adult I realized she was right. If I stopped to get groceries when I was hungry I always hit the bakery. I'd buy sweets, chips and frozen meals too. Things I didn't want in the house but that were quick and easy to make. It really wasn't how I wanted to shop and it's not how I was taught to shop.

I've since discovered another piece of advice I wish she had taught me. It's one I'll pass onto my daughter.

The best time to go shopping for groceries is right after a grueling work out. I always feel great after working out and the last thing I want to do is ruin that work out with bad food. I stock up on fruits, veggies and lean meats. I buy good foundation foods like brown rice and whole grain bread. I avoid the sweets and sugars. I don't dare put junk food in my cart. A bag of chips or a tray of brownies has no power over me. It's a great feeling!

While some might be tempted to splurge after a work out I feel the opposite. I feel healthy and I want to continue it with good, fresh, whole foods. And it makes it easier to stick to my budget because I'm buying things on my list and controlling the impulse buys. Score!

1 comment:

  1. It is bad to shop when hungry. I always notice a difference in what I get.

    I also noticed that if I get grocieres after I work out but don't drink a protein shake, I'll but just as bad. I need to be full. LOL.

    ReplyDelete