Here's some of what I've learned so far; what is and is not working.
What is working:
- Telling people. Having some accountability makes a difference for me.
- Planning meals. I stay on track if I have a plan.
- Tracking my food. I need to see what I've eaten otherwise it's too easy to overeat.
- Exercising. It's tough but I'm doing it, 4-5 times a week and it's getting better and easier.
- Getting rid of the junk food. Can't eat what's not around!
- Following other blogs. It's motivation for me to see others who are succeeding and those just starting.
- Journaling. I keep a private journal that is helping me deal with these changes.
- Taking things one day at a time. There's always tomorrow.
- Having fruits, veggies and snack food measured out in baggies, containers, ready to grab.
- Taking 10 minutes. If I find myself feeling the munchies, I do something else for 10 minutes until it passes.
- Celebrating the small successes! A good meal, walking further, clothes fitting etc., all proof this IS working!
- A slip is Okay, I can regroup and keep going.
What doesn't work:
- Competing with someone. I want to see others lose weight too, I don't care who loses it faster or loses more. I don't want to feel that pressure.
- Not planning meals. I don't eat enough protein, fiber or I eat too many carbs if I don't plan.
- Letting a bad day get the best of me.
- Not working out. I have to be moving or I won't lose weight. Simple as that!
- Getting down on myself for slipping.
- GIVING UP! That's NOT an option!
I know I'll learn more and be able to add to this list in time. It's a learning process and I signed up for the long haul.