Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Chart

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What's working, what's not.

I'm 2.5 weeks into this journey. I don't want to call this a diet, that has so many negative associations and implies it ends at some point. I am going for a lifestyle change. I want these changes to be permanent.

Here's some of what I've learned so far; what is and is not working.

What is working:
  • Telling people. Having some accountability makes a difference for me.
  • Planning meals. I stay on track if I have a plan.
  • Tracking my food. I need to see what I've eaten otherwise it's too easy to overeat.
  • Exercising. It's tough but I'm doing it, 4-5 times a week and it's getting better and easier.
  • Getting rid of the junk food. Can't eat what's not around!
  • Following other blogs. It's motivation for me to see others who are succeeding and those just starting.
  • Journaling. I keep a private journal that is helping me deal with these changes.
  • Taking things one day at a time. There's always tomorrow.
  • Having fruits, veggies and snack food measured out in baggies, containers, ready to grab.
  • Taking 10 minutes. If I find myself feeling the munchies, I do something else for 10 minutes until it passes.
  • Celebrating the small successes! A good meal, walking further, clothes fitting etc., all proof this IS working!
  • A slip is Okay, I can regroup and keep going.

What doesn't work:

  • Competing with someone. I want to see others lose weight too, I don't care who loses it faster or loses more. I don't want to feel that pressure.
  • Not planning meals. I don't eat enough protein, fiber or I eat too many carbs if I don't plan.
  • Letting a bad day get the best of me.
  • Not working out. I have to be moving or I won't lose weight. Simple as that!
  • Getting down on myself for slipping.
  • GIVING UP! That's NOT an option!

I know I'll learn more and be able to add to this list in time. It's a learning process and I signed up for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment